Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Instructional Design Models

Instructional Design Models

I recently studied two different types of learning models. One is "The Assure Model" and the other is the "Minimalism Model". These two models of instructional design are similar in only a couple ways; they both discuss the approach of designing effective instruction and they both recommend evaluating your lesson plans and revising when necessary. You are not a bad teacher if a lesson does not work. You are a bad teacher if you do not reflect upon your lessons and work on revising elements of the lesson so your students can become successful learners.

These two models of instructional design differ from one another in many ways. "The Assure Model" stands for;

A
nalyze learners
State objectives
Select instructional methods, media, and materials
Utilize media and materials
Require learner participation
Evaluate and revise

This model is one in which teachers can use to design and develop the most appropriate learning environment for their students. This model is a great process for writing lesson plans and improving teaching and learning.

The "Minimalism Method" is a theory that emphasizes the necessity to build upon the learner's experience. The critical idea of minimalist theory is to minimize the extent to which instructional materials obstruct learning and focus the design on activities that support learner-directed activity and accomplishment. This models seems to be used primarily in computer or technology type education classes. The approach for this method is to get started fast and to give guided discovery so students can learn in a more effective way.

Designing a Lesson Plan

If I were to design a lesson plan I would use the "Assure Model". My curriculum would be Pre-Algebra and my potential audience would be 8th grade students. My class has a diverse range of students both culturally and socially. These students would have limited prior knowledge in Algebra but would have prior knowledge in the basics of mathematics that will enable them to learn Algebra.

Using the "Assure Model" I would first analyze my learners, state my objectives and then select my instructional methods, media, and materials that will give my student the most benefit in learning the lesson. I then would utilize media and materials, require learner participation and finally evaluate and revise my lesson plan where needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment